Healthy recipe for people with diabetes. Low GI Recipe
Healthy recipe with a low glycemic index. Low fat Recipe
Healthy and delicious low fat recipe. Low carbohydrate Recipe
Healthy and flavoursome recipe low in carbohydrates. Dairy Free Recipe
Dairy free recipe for people with lactose intolerance. Gluten free Recipe
Gluten free recipe for people with gluten intolerance. Vegan Recipe
Healthy and tasty vegan recipe that contains no animal products. Heart Healthy Recipe
Heart healthy recipe to nourish your heart. Vegetarian Recipe
Healthy vegetarian recipe (the recipe may contain dairy or eggs only).
A decadent cake that is totally dairy free, is really delicious and rich in taste. A treat for a special occasion.
- 1 1/2 cups wholegrain spelt flour (can use rye flour)
- 1/2 Tspn bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 3/4 cup raw sugar
- 1 cup extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil
- 1/2 cup pureed apple (2-3 apples, peel removed)
- 1-2 Tspn rice (or alomond, soy, coconut) milk
- 5 Tbsp raspberry fruit jam
- 200g fresh berries (raspberries, blackberries, strawberries)
- 75g plain organic cooking chocolate pieces, chopped
- 50g grated walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Grease a 20cm (8 inch) round cake tin with a little of the olive oil and line the base with some baking paper.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder into a bowl and stir in the raw sugar and make a well in the centre.
- Whisk together the olive oil, apple puree and milk (puree the apples by adding them to a food processor and blending until the mixture is soft and pureed and makes 1/2 cup).
- Pour the liquid into the well in the centre of the flour, a little at a time and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tine and bake for 40 minutes - or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the cake is cooled, remove it from the cake tin. Cut the cake in half, using a serated knife.
- Spread the raspberry jam over the bottom half of the cake.
- Add the berries on top of the jam.
- Add the grated walnuts on top of the berries.
- Spread a little of the raspberry jam on the top half of the cake.
- Place the top half of the cake onto the bottom half.
- Melt the chocolate in a pan (about 3-4 minutes).
- Drizzle the melted chocolate on the top of the cake.
- Add a few more of the berries on top of the cake.
- Top with a sprinkling of the grated walnuts.
Serve with a dollop of low fat yoghurt (milk, coconut, soy) for some extra decadence.
This is a decadent cake, but it is low in calories, relatively low in fat ompared to most other cakes and has a low-medium GI, so can be enjoyed in moderation without any guilt.Advertisement
|Nutrition Information||Amount||% Daily
|Calories from fat||208||45.8%|
|Total fat||23.1 g||39.1%|
|Saturated fat||4.2 g||7.2%|
|Dietary fibre||3.6 g||12.0%|
These are approximate values.
- Hommous is a traditional Middle Eastern / Mediterranean dip which is high in protein and simple delicious...more
- This healthy pasta is made without any dressing - the juicy mango provides a delicious flavoursome dressing...more
- Prawns cooked in a rich fresh tomato-based sauce with lots of herbs and flavour...more
- Red snapper is full of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids and the quinoa makes this gluen-free...more
- The asparagus is spiced and served with vegetables, quinoa and salmon pieces. Highly nutritious and tasty...more
- A dessert that is as decadent as it is tasty. Low in sugar, high in fibre...more
- High in protein, sweet and savoury, with some heat from the chilli, this recipe is divine...more
- The eggplant is stuffed with minced meat and vegetable and baked for a delicious meal...more
- Robust breakfast, high in protein, decadent, yet still exceedingly healthy and tasty...more
Most popular website content